Credit cards are a type of plastic card that can be used as a payment method. They are usually issued by banks or other financial institutions and can be used to purchase goods and services either online or in physical stores. Credit cards usually come with a credit limit, which is the maximum amount that can be spent using the card, and a creditworthiness requirement, which is the minimum amount of credit that the cardholder must have in order to be eligible for the card.
Credit cards offer a number of benefits to users. First, they provide a convenient way to make purchases, both online and in physical stores. Additionally, credit cards offer protection against fraud and identity theft. Finally, credit cards can also help build credit history and improve credit scores.
There are a few risks associated with using credit cards. First, if not managed properly, credit cards can lead to debt and financial problems. Additionally, credit cards can be subject to fraud and identity theft. Finally, if a credit card is lost or stolen, it can be used to make unauthorized purchases.
Types of Credit Cards Available in Canada:
- Secured credit cards are backed by a security deposit. The security deposit is typically equal to the credit limit on the card. This type of credit card is often used by people with bad credit or no credit history.
- Unsecured credit cards are not not backed by a security deposit. This type of credit card is often used by people with good credit.
- Prepaid credit cards are loaded with a set amount of funds. The cardholder can then use the card to make purchases up to the value of the funds that have been loaded onto the card.
- Rewards credit cards offer rewards points for every purchase made with the card. These points can then be redeemed for cash back, travel, or other perks. All banks offer these.
- Business credit cards are specifically designed for business expenses. Business credit cards often offer perks such as cash back, rewards points, and 0% APR periods.
- Balance transfer credit cards offer a 0% interest period for balance transfers. This type of credit card can be used to save on interest by transferring high-interest credit card balances to a card with a lower APR.
- Low interest credit cards offer a lower interest rate than most other credit cards. This is used to save on interest payments in the middle to long term.
- 0% APR credit cards offer a 0% interest period for purchases or balance transfers. This type of credit card is also used to save on interest payments, temporarily
With credit card interest rates soaring above 20% in Canada’s current interest rate environment that has seen even the Bank of Canada’s rate jump at 4.75%, credit card debt has become a pressing concern for consumers. This post explores the implications of rising interest rates on credit card debt and provides actionable strategies to effectively
A prepaid credit card is a type of credit card that allows the user to load money onto the card in advance. This means that the card can be used like a normal credit card, but without the need for a line of credit or borrowing from a lender. Instead, the user pays for their
Klarna is a Swedish company that offers financial services, specifically buy now pay later financing. Klarna is available in 14 countries, including Canada. Buy now pay later is a type of financing that allows consumers to purchase items and take up to 12 months to pay for them, with no interest or fees. There are
2.3/5 PC Mastercard, or President’s Choice Financial® Mastercard®, is a credit card issued by Canada’s major banks. It is a MasterCard-branded card that can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted. PC Mastercard holders enjoy many perks, including cash back rewards, no annual fees, and low interest rates. Some PC Mastercards even come with insurance
Some people might prefer a credit card with a low interest rate, while others might prefer a credit card with a rewards program. That said, we rated our 20 best credit cards in Canada in the list below. Some sites will tease the best towards the end of the article – we start with the
Canadian Tire Bank is a Canadian bank that offers financial products and services to Canadian Tire’s retail customers. Products available from Canadian Tire Bank include credit cards, chequing accounts, in-store financing, rewards programs and loans. A credit card from Canadian Tire Bank can be used to make purchases at any Canadian Tire store or gas